Forfarshire Cricket Club - Gordon Potts 2015

Match Report - Gordon Potts Memorial T20 2015

Sunday 14th June saw the 8th playing of the annual Gordon Potts Memorial cricket match.

Various regular players were missing for a variety of reasons. The reasons were mainly injury related which perhaps reflects the rapidly ageing player pool available for the fixture. Barry and Gus were also missing – rumoured to be on a romantic break in Venice. The weather was cloudy but dry at Forthill and the teams leisurely got changed and the captains made their way to the centre. Bryce was in his usual place in charge of the “Dundee” team and Nobby was skippering “United” for a second year with Chic away. Bryce won the toss and opted to bat. Everyone arrived at the allotted time except Cammy who was unable to wake from his slumber to attend the match. Dundee sportingly offered a sub fielder to ensure fair play.

It was Hector who shone in the early stages for Dundee with four strikes to the boundary in a quick fire 16. Christian also opened and comfortably made his way to the retiral figure of 25 runs. Ranji was making his debut in the match and was a welcome returning figure to the club. He also made his way to 25, as did Craig and Dundee were well in control of proceedings. Things were going well and seemed set to continue when Clark made his way to the centre, but a hammer blow was struck when Sim Sr deceived him with a slower ball and he was pouched at cover by Butts for a first ball quacker. Undeterred, Blair struck some fine blows and the scoreboard was ticking along. Cully fell over. There is nothing more to add to that – he simply fell over..... James Jr went in and pushed one to mid on where substitute fielder Christian picked up the ball and threw down the stumps with a direct hit to run out his team mate. Christian was immediately substituted. More runs came and the innings closed on an above par 140 and the Dundee skipper seemed very pleased with himself.

Some liquid was taken and the united chase began and the Duke hit some lusty blows on the way to a quick 25 and retired. Howie and Sim Sr tried to push things along but some tight bowling from Cheese, Conny and Hector built the pressure and then not for the first time Bryce bounced out Howie. More good bowling and inept batting followed and when the returning Duke was bowled first ball by Bryce the game was over.

Dundee won by around 40 runs in the most one sided contest ever seen in the history of the fixture.

The Barbeque was cranked up and sausages and burgers were being dispensed by Head Chef Butts who was doing a grand job before managing to set fire to the grill. Large flames were licking from the barbeque and Hector was all set to pour cider on the fire before stopping just in time. Howie and Dave came to the rescue with some water and the flames were extinguished just before the main pavilion was torched.

Bryce collected the trophy from Ian and thanks were dispensed to all involved. Dundee now lead the series4 – 3 ( with one tie). 
Butts was awarded the Champagne Moment award for attempting to burn down Broughty Ferry. This was yet another great day and as usual our thoughts turned to our missing friend and we recounted tales of days gone by over a beer or two.

Here’s to next year and perhaps in 2016 United will make a game of it!